Red River is located in the Southern Rockies and is part of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range. Red River's four square miles are surrounded by the Carson National Forest and are a part of New Mexico's Enchanted Circle Scenic Byways - an 87-mile scenic road at the base Wheeler Peak.
- Altitude: 8,750 feet
- Average Winter Temperature: 40 degrees in the daytime, 12 degrees at night
- Average Summer Temperature: 75 degrees daytime, 38 degrees at night
The Town's main industry is Tourism. The average daily tourist population is 3895, and the average daily occupancy rate is 48.6%. During peak season and holidays, Red River may host as many as 10,000 people a day. There are a wide range of activities to enjoy: hiking, fishing, horseback riding, and four-wheeling are summer favorites. Winter guests enjoy skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling. Red River averages 200" of snow each year. Red River Ski Area logged over 101,000 skier days in 2002.
- The estimated permanent population of Red River is 427.
- The community employs over 1100 people, with a remarkable 55% of the labor force commuting from surrounding areas.
- Red River's unemployment rate is virtually 0% during tourist season.
In 2002, there were 144 registered businesses in town. including:
- 43 hotels / rental services
- 20 Restaurants
- 30 Retail Shops
- 2 Gasoline Stations
- 1 Bank
- 1 Post Office
- 3 Local Newspapers
- 1 Radio Station
- 1 Grocery Store
- 1 Downhill Ski Area
- 1 Cross Country Ski Area
- 13 Tourist/Recreation Businesses
- 2 Medical Clinics
- 5 Real Estate Offices
- 2 Automotive Repairs
- 13 Construction-Related Businesses
- 4 Religious Congregations
Approximate Driving Distances (miles) and Times
|Albuquerque, NM||168 miles||3 hours 8 minutes|
|Amarillo, TX||288 miles||5 hours 20 minutes|
|Angel Fire, NM||29 miles||0 hours 48 minutes|
|Colorado Springs, CO||206 miles||3 hours 32 minutes|
|Dallas, TX||651 miles||11 hours 34 minutes|
|Houston, TX||883 miles||15 hours 22 minutes|
|New Orleans, LA||1,163 miles||19 hours 52 minutes|
|Oklahoma City, OK||543 miles||9 hours 30 minutes|
|Phoenix, AZ||584 miles||10 hours 8 minutes|